I usually buy berber spice from my local ethnic organic grocer, but this is still useful to have around in case I ever lose access to this place. I don't think it's quite authentic but would work in a pinch.
Yield: 18 servings
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice berries
- Seeds of 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 5 dried red chilies , seeds and membranes removed and broken into small pieces (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
In a heavy skillet over high heat, toast the whole spices (seeds) and chilies, shaking the pan regularly to prevent scorching, until very fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
Grind the cooled spices in a spice or coffee grinder. Add all remaining ground spices and salt and grind everything together.
Store in an airtight container in a dark place.
If you like extreme heat, leave a few of the seeds in. It will still be very spicy even without the seeds.