I've maintained some form of personal website since roughly 1998 or so, when I made my first hand coded HTML pages available online. There've been a few over the years, hosted on variously on U of T servers, Geocities, Netfirms and a raft of dedicated home machines, but the current incarnation has lived on a server rented from kimsufi for some time now and I'm trying to make it last.

Tools

I use a static site generator (SSG) called pelican. In the past, I used a homemade blogging engine called YAWT (written in perl, then python). which worked fairly well, but I eventually got tired of maintaining it, so I switched. Like YAWT, pelican is written in python and uses the Jinja2 templating system, so I didn't feel completely out of place.

Using an SSG means compiling the HTML pages comprising this site every time new content gets added. I keep the website source files in my github repo and I compile and deploy the site with every push.

The look of the site is based off of my own pelican theme, which uses bootstrap to do most of the heavy lifting. I've tried to make the site HTML5 compliant and, as such, I've made use of the newer tags such as "header", "footer" and "article" and I've taken advantage of the newer HTML5 outlining algorithm to embed multiple h1 tags where appropriate. For the most part, the stuff on this site should look okay in older and text based browsers, as long as you turn off the CSS.

Indie Web

I discovered the Indie Web community sometime in early 2019 and I've been slowly trying to make my site compliant. So far I'm only at IndieMark Level 1, which basically means that I own a domain, post some original content (blog entries and notes), and can use my website as a means of authentication. I'm hard at work on Level 2.